NEWS
UN-WCD Back Tinubu’s Security Push, Seek Matawalle’s Redeployment
The United World Congress of Diplomats (UN-WCD), in collaboration with the International Institute of Experts on Political Economy and Administration (IIEPEA), has openly backed President Bola Tinubu’s security strategy, demanding immidiate redeployment of Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, from the ministry.The Diplomats, at a press conference held on Monday in Abuja, said Matawalle’s move from Defence Ministry became necessary to eliminate what they termed “perceived internal obstacles” to success against banditry and terrorism in the country.The diplomats disclosed their position while presenting an Assessment Report on the ongoing war against terrorism in Nigeria.Unveiling the report, UN-WCD Secretary-General H.E. Amb. Prof. Tunji John Asaolu, praised the growing military partnership between Nigeria and the United States, describing the joint operations as precise, disciplined, and effective.According to Asaolu, the assessment revealed that despite the scale of recent joint military engagements, no civilian casualties were recorded, a development he said underscored professionalism and adherence to international rules of engagement.“We commend the United States military and the Nigerian Ministry of Defence for the progress recorded so far in degrading terrorist networks,” he said, adding that the collaboration has weakened insurgent strongholds across several regions.However, Asaolu warned that persistent attacks showed that terrorism has not been fully eradicated.He cited the recent bandit attack at Kasuwan-Daji in Niger State, where over 30 traders were reportedly killed, as evidence that Nigeria’s security architecture still required urgent recalibration.The UN-WCD Secretary-General said the incident reinforced the need for a “surgical cleansing” of the defence system, particularly of officials whose continued presence raises public suspicion or operational concerns.While cautioning against destabilising scenarios similar to the recent Venezuela crisis—where a sitting president was arrested during a full-scale military operation sanctioned by the United States, Asaolu stressed that President Tinubu has displayed uncommon political will in tackling insecurity.“Our findings show clearly that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has gone beyond expectations in confronting terrorism. What remains is to remove internal bottlenecks that could undermine his efforts,” he said.At the centre of the diplomats’ recommendations was a direct call for the redeployment of Matawalle from the Ministry of Defence, which they described as critical to restoring confidence and coherence in the anti-terror war.They cited persistent credibility questions, including allegations of links with bandits dating back to Matawalle’s tenure as governor of Zamfara State, warning that keeping an official under such scrutiny weakens the moral authority of the security campaign.The group also noted that Matawalle’s continued stay in the defence ministry could dilute the seriousness signaled by recent military leadership reforms, including the appointment of General Christopher Musa as Chief of Defence Staff.Additional red flags raised by the diplomats included allegations from former associates, claims of shielding bandit leaders, facilitation of ransom payments, and public remarks perceived as dismissive of victims—issues they said have fuelled anger and distrust.UN-WCD further argued that Matawalle’s limited security background, coupled with mounting calls for his removal from clerics and respected commentators, has drawn unwelcome international attention to Nigeria’s defence leadership.“The war against terrorism cannot be fought with credibility gaps at the top,” Asaolu said. “Allowing officials facing serious allegations to remain in sensitive positions risks sabotaging public trust and operational effectiveness.”The diplomatic body concluded by urging President Tinubu to treat Matawalle’s redeployment not as a sanction, but as a decisive governance move necessary to tighten the security chain, reassure Nigerians, and fast-track victory against terrorism.“Public sentiment against banditry is high, and the resurfacing of dismissive comments made by Mr. Mutawalle reflects a lack of empathy towards thousands of victims. His remarks alienate those affected and can severely damage the government’s credibility in addressing security challenges, one of the reasons why the Christian genocide claim was more pronounced.“The integrity of Nigeria’s security apparatus is crucial. Allowing individuals under serious scrutiny to remain in leadership roles can compromise institutional efficacy and credibility. A change in leadership is vital to restore faith and effectiveness within the defence ministry.“In conclusion, I urge President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to consider these points seriously. The redeployment of Bello Mutawalle from the Ministry of Defense is not merely a matter of personnel; it is a critical step toward reaffirming our commitment to accountability, integrity, and the effective governance essential for our national security,” they stated.
NEWS
Wema Bank Plc Sets the Record Straight on False and Misleading Publication by NDIC on Legacy Transactions Involving Defunct Gulf Bank Plc
General Comments
Wema Bank Plc has noted with concern recent media publications containing false, misleading, and wholly unsubstantiated allegations regarding the sale of certain Banana Island properties purportedly linked to the defunct Gulf Bank Plc. We unequivocally reject these claims, which are inaccurate, malicious, and clearly intended to distort the true position. For the benefit of our stakeholders—shareholders, customers, regulators, and the general public—we set out below the factual background to the transaction.The Original Exposure and DefaultIn 2002, Wema Bank Plc (the Bank) made an inter-bank placement with Gulf Bank Plc in the sum of ₦4.6 billion. By August 2004, that exposure had been reduced to approximately ₦1.2 billion, after which the outstanding obligation became delinquent. In seeking to recover depositors’ and shareholders’ funds, Wema Bank pursued lawful recovery steps, which ultimately dovetailed into a criminal investigation of the then Managing Director of Gulf Bank Plc.Based on the investigation of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the funds were found to have been diverted and used to acquire properties in Banana Island, Lagos, through two separate companies Bacad Finance & Investment Company Ltd (now known as Supra Commercial Trust Limited) and Euston Wenberg Eng Ltd. It is important to note that neither Bacad Finance & Investment Company Ltd (nor its successor, Supra Commercial Trust Limited) nor Euston Wenberg Eng Ltd is one and the same as Gulf Bank Plc. They are separate and distinct entities with no identity or equivalence to Gulf Bank. And the two companies are not subject to NDIC supervision.In the course of its investigation, the EFCC conducted asset-tracing exercises that uncovered significant underlying fraud on a substantial scale. Following the EFCC’s findings, Bacad Finance & Investment Company Ltd and Euston Wenberg Eng Ltd voluntarily relinquished their proprietary interests in the Banana Island properties towards the satisfaction of Gulf Bank Indebtedness to Wema Bank. That process formed part of Wema Bank’s lawful recovery efforts and underscores the legitimacy of its actions against Gulf Bank.NDIC’s Acknowledgment, Admission of Indebtedness, and Payment of Shortfall.Critically, following the liquidation of Gulf Bank, Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) admitted Gulf Bank’s indebtedness to Wema Bank in two separate letters:A letter dated September 26, 2007, addressed to the Federal Land Registry; andA letter dated June 10, 2009, addressed directly to Wema Bank Plc.These letters constitute clear and formal recognition by the NDIC of the validity of Wema Bank’s claim against the defunct Gulf Bank and its interest over the property in question. Fortunately, both letters form part of the documents frontloaded by NDIC lawyer Dr. Dada Awosika SAN in court in the ongoing proceedings before Justice Allagoa of the Federal High Court Lagos.Furthermore, after the sale of the properties, the NDIC in fact paid to Wema Bank, the shortfall of what was due to the Bank. These facts demonstrate that the NDIC was not only aware of the transaction but actively participated in settling the outstanding balance following the sale. In light of the foregoing:the voluntary relinquishment by Bacad (now Supra Commercial Trust Limited) and Euston Wenberg (distinct entities not constituting Gulf Bank), of the properties in Banana Island for the settlement of the indebtedness of the defunct Gulf Bank the NDIC’s formal admission of Gulf Bank’s indebtedness to Wema Bank via its letters of September 26, 2007 (to the Federal Land Registry) and June 10, 2009 (to Wema Bank), both of which have been frontloaded in court by NDIC itself, and the acknowledgement of the relinquishment of the Banana Island properties, andthe NDIC’s own payment of the shortfall to Wema Bank,NDIC is precluded from and cannot in good faith contest the relinquishment of those interests or the appropriateness of Wema Bank’s recovery efforts.While we acknowledge that the NDIC has recently commenced two separate actions against Wema Bank at the Federal High Court, Lagos, purportedly in its capacity as liquidator of Gulf Bank Plc pursuant to a winding-up order, those proceedings do not alter the material facts stated above. As these matters are currently before the court and therefore sub judice, Wema Bank will refrain from commenting further on issues that fall for judicial determination. The Bank is taking all necessary steps to contest the suits filed in court and will explore all legal and legitimate means to protect its rights and interests.ConclusionWema Bank Plc remains steadfast in its commitment to the highest standards of corporate governance, regulatory compliance, and transparency. We reaffirm our dedication to ethical and prudent banking practices and assure our shareholders, customers, regulators, and all relevant stakeholders that the Bank will continue to act responsibly, lawfully, and in the best interests of all parties it serves. The Bank will continue to exert its rights and will not succumb to the shenanigans of unscrupulous individuals who want to reap where they did not sow.FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:For further information, please contact:Johnson LebileGeneral Counsel/Legal Adviser Johnson.lebile@wemabank.com About WEMA Bank PlcWema Bank Plc (NGX: WEMABANK) is the pioneer of Africa’s first fully digital bank, ALAT, and one of Nigeria’s most resilient banks. With decades of experience in the business of banking, the Bank has remained innovative in delivering value to its stakeholders. Wema Bank operates a network of over 150 branches and service stations backed by a robust ICT platform. The publicly quoted Nigerian company has successfully built a legacy of trust and resilience that has won it the loyalty of its customers. The Bank is constantly introducing products and services tailored to the needs of its customers at every stage of their lives. It is a proud partner to more than one million individuals, families and businesses across Nigeria, helping them achieve their personal and financial goals.More information can be found at https://www.wemabank.com/about-us/
NEWS
Excitement as Zamfara Under Governor Lawal Begins Airlift of Pilgrims at Zamfara Airport
There is palpable excitement in Zamfara State as the administration of Governor Dauda Lawal officially commenced the 2026 Hajj airlift for pilgrims from the Gusau Airport (GIA). In a historic move aimed at easing the pilgrimage process, the state government announced that the first batch of pilgrims who departed for the Holy Land today, Friday, 15th May 2026.This milestone marks the fulfillment of Governor Lawal’s promise to make direct departures from Zamfara a reality, eliminating the need for pilgrims to travel to other states for airlift. However, the state government has issued a strict advisory to the public regarding conduct at the airport. To ensure security and facilitate the smooth coordination of the airlift operations, escorting pilgrims to the airport is strictly prohibited.Family members and friends wishing to bid farewell to their loved ones are directed to do so only at the Hajj Camp. The restriction, according to officials, is a necessary measure to prevent congestion and maintain order at the airport premises. Officials confirm that the airlift is now underway at Gusau International Airport. The development has been met with widespread praise from intending pilgrims, who expressed relief at being able to begin their spiritual journey directly from their home state.The Zamfara State Government extended its sincere gratitude to Governor Lawal for his commitment, emphasizing that the direct airlift reflects a new chapter of convenience and efficiency for the state’s annual Hajj operations.
NEWS
Governor Dauda Lawal Hails Troops for Successful Fight against Banditry, Terrorism across Zamfara State
Governor Dauda Lawal has commended the troops of the Joint Task Force (North West) Operation Fansan Yamma for achieving significant operational successes against bandits in Zamfara State. The troops of the Joint Task Force launched an elaborate and coordinated onslaught in the early hours of Thursday, May 7, 2026, in the Kaura Namoda and Birnin Magaji Local Government Areas of Zamfara State. Following the encounter, troops effectively neutralised three gang leaders and recovered a cache of weapons and ammunition, which included an AK-47 rifle, a machine gun, a locally fabricated handgun, seven rifle magazines and a total of 571 rounds of ammunition.Governor Lawal described the renewed military offensive as timely, particularly due to the successful operation recorded on May 10, 2026, which disrupted a significant gathering of notorious terrorist leaders and neutralised several commanders. The troops acted on an intelligence report that confirmed that the terrorists had converged at a concealed location in Tumfa Village, Shinkafi Local Government Area, with the intention to coordinate attacks and criminal activities targeting innocent communities in the state. The Air Component launched a precision airstrike on the identified terrorist hideout that successfully destroyed the structure, which served as the terrorists’ meeting point. The governor further reiterates Zamfara State Government’s commitment to ongoing support and logistics for the military and other security agencies operating in the state.
-
Brand24 hours agoNestlé Nigeria Concludes 15-Year Anniversary Celebration of its Technical Training Centre with 20 New Graduates from Abaji Factory
-
Cover16 hours agoHow Primate Ayodele Foretold Fresh Outbreak Of Ebola Virus In Africa (VIDEO)
-
Opinion3 minutes agoThe Reality of Aligning Product, Growth, and Brand – Ememobong Udofot
