Features
UEFA Euro 2020: Christian Eriksen On The Road To Recovery – And How Marc-Vivien Foe’s Tragic Passing Saved His Life

SuperSport viewers on DStv and GOtv will no doubt be delighted to hear that Denmark and Internazionale midfielder Christian Eriksen is now well on the road to recovery following his scary collapse in his national team’s opening UEFA Euro 2020 match earlier this month.
The 29-year-old Inter Milan was resuscitated on the pitch at the Parken Stadium in Copenhagen on Saturday 12 June after suffering a cardiac arrest during the first half of his side’s 1-0 defeat to Finland.
Eriksen spent nearly a week in hospital in Copenhagen and was fitted with an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD, also known as a ‘heart starter’) in a surgery before being discharged this past weekend.
An ICD is a small device that can treat people with dangerously abnormal heart rhythms. It sends electrical pulses to regulate these rhythms, especially those that could be dangerous and cause a cardiac arrest.
“After Christian has been through different heart examinations, it has been decided that he should have an ICD,” Denmark team doctor Moretn Boesen explained.
“This device is necessary after cardiac attack due to rhythm disturbances. Christian has accepted the solution and the plan has moreover been confirmed by specialists nationally and internationally who all recommend the same treatment. We encourage everybody to give Christian and his family peace and privacy [in] the following time.”
The device is said to be similar to the one former Bolton Wanderers star Fabrice Mumba required after his own on-field collapse during a Premier League match in 2012. He had hoped to resume his career but ended up never playing a competitive football match again. It is unclear whether Eriksen will resume his professional career – with his recovery to full health a much more important issue at this time.

“Thank you for the massive number of greetings, it has been incredible to see and feel,” said Eriksen in a statement. “The operation went well and I am doing well under the circumstances. It was great to see the guys again after the fantastic game they played [against Belgium].”
Eriksen may well owe his life to the tragic death of Cameroon’s Marc-Vivien Foe, who suffered a cardiac arrest in the Indomitable Lions’ FIFA Confederations Cup semi-final win over Colombia in June 2003.
Foe, 28, also collapsed on the pitch but didn’t receive the necessary level of treatment to save his life and was ultimately pronounced dead after the match. His tragic passing alerted football authorities to the need to up their game in regards to giving on-pitch resuscitation.
Sanjay Sharma, a Professor of Cardiology at St George’s, University of London admitted he was shocked when he watched footage of the on-field treatment that Foe received.
“A player went down without any contact, his eyes rolled back, he had no tone in his body, so it was clear something terrible had gone wrong,” he explained in an interview several years back. “It took quite a while for the penny to drop that this was not going to get better with the magic sponge or fluid being poured on his head though.
“As cardiologists, we like resuscitation to start within a minute and a half of someone going down, and for the defibrillator to be used within three minutes. That gives us an outcome of about 70% living. Yet a good five, six minutes went by before I could see any positive action with Marc-Vivien Foe. That was perhaps because this was the first time something like this had happened in football. After all, you don’t expect a champion footballer like this to go down and die.”
Since then, massive improvements have been made according to then FIFA medical officer Jiri Dvorak: “We have done a lot of work to reduce the risk of sudden cardiac arrest since then,” he explained. At all levels, we have examination of players before arrival at a competition.
“We have also trained the side-line medical teams in CPR and using defibrillators. We have a plan if something happens and the equipment – including for the team physicians of all teams. The medical personnel are adequately educated.”
Viewers on DStv and GOtv can see all their favourite European stars vying for UEFA Euro 2020 glory in June and July 2021.
Visit www.dstvafrica.com and www.gotvafrica.com to subscribe or upgrade your DStv and GOtv package for the full Euro 2020 experience. With the DStv Explora, you can pause, rewind or record the exciting moments of the matches. And while you’re on the move, stream matches on the DStv App which is free for download on the Apple and Google Play store and can be used on up to 5 devices.
Community
Abiodun declares state of emergency on flooded Isheri community
…assures residents of permanent solution after comprehensive assessment

Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, on Monday declared state of emergency on the flooded Isheri community, in Ifo Local Government Area of the State, as he assured residents of the area quick intervention to save the situation.
The governor added that a comprehensive assessment that would lead to permanent solution to the menace of flooding in the affected area would be conducted very soon.
Prince Abiodun, who stated this while fielding questions from newsmen after inspecting the flooded community, said that his administration is working with the federal government to deal with the situation as an emergency case.
He noted that the time has come to find a lasting solution to the perennial flooding to make the area morw conducive for living.
According to him, the state government will see to the elevation of some roads in the area as parts of the solutions to the problem.
The govenor said: “We will prioritize the works here because I am touched with what I have seen. I will ensure that we immediately begin to see signs of relief as we are stepping this up. The Minister of State for Environment is already aware. The Vice President is already aware and also the president. It will be dealt with as an emergency and we are taking it as such.
“As an emergency, I will like to take it up myself. Please continue to bear with us as we are going to conduct a comprehensive assessment of what we need to do to make this place conducive for living.
“Whatever that assessment comes up with is what we are going to implement. So, we are going to first start with ensuring that we have the required road infrastructure at the appropriate levels.
“So if you now built in such a way that we need to relocate you, we have to do that. Whatever it is that we must do to ensure that place does not persistently experience flood, we will do it. But let us wait for the result of the studies to come back and then we will begin to take that decision as and when the situation arises.”
Addressing residents of Riverview Estate, Governor Abiodun said he has requested for an area survey of the entire estate to identify critical areas that needed immediately intervention.
He assured that the intervention would come through the construction of an elevated road with adequate drainages to mitigate their suffering.
“I want to assure you today, knowing fully well that we are a promise keeping administration, we do not say what we do not mean, my heart goes out to you, it is very unfortunate, I am giving my commitment today, the commissioner for works will come and see what needs to be done.
“We have also engage the Minister of State for the Environment, who fortunately, is from Ogun State and I have already brought this to his attention.
“Before the end of the week, I will also table it before the Vice President and the President as well so that we ensure that this problem gets all the desired attention and consequently gets the desired solution so we can bring this to an end,” he said.
The governor also disclosed that he and the Minister of Water Resources would visit the community in few days time.
“We will also discuss the issue of the Ogun-Osun River Basin Authority and try and interrogate the activities there and understand how their activities affect this community and other communities with respect to the opening and closing of the dam,” he said.
The governor described the environment around the Kara cattle market as an eyesore and not befitting the dreams of a “new Ogun State”.
He said that the market was not conducive for human living and not in tandem with the Sustainable Development Goals and waste disposal.
He, however, acknowledged the area as one of the biggest commercial operation that provide services to a large number of people, even as he assured that government would go into a satisfactory agreement with the market men and women after which a comprehensive beautification of the area would take place.
The Chairman, Riverview Estate, Abayomi Akande, in his remarks, intimated the governor of the suffering residents of the area are going through as a result of the flooding.
He said that there is a need for a panel of inquiry into the operations of Oyan Dam to stop incessant release of water to cause havoc in the State
He applauded the governor for sending miscreants packing from the road, saying residents of the axis have suffered robbery attacks and other criminalities for quite awhile.
Akande urged the state government to think of converting the area into a Government Residential Area (GRA) through Public Private Partnership arrangement to fast track its development.
Features
MediaTek, Airtel Nigeria intensify collaborative efforts to bolster mobile connectivity in Nigeria

Lagos, Nigeria – October 12, 2023 – MediaTek, a global leader in semiconductor industry together with Airtel Nigeria, a leading telecommunications service provider, briefed the local media on Thursday on their collaborative efforts, to drive technological advancements and improve mobile connectivity across the nation.
The collaboration introduces MediaTek’s T750-powered Customer Premises Equipment (CPE), a groundbreaking technology that enhances internet connectivity. This advancement allows users to access high-speed 5G networks from the comfort of their homes, opening doors to remote work, gaming, online education, and entertainment streaming like never before.
Speaking during the session, Rami Osman, Director for Corporate Sales and Marketing at MediaTek, Middle East Africa, highlighted MediaTek’s commitment towards expanding its footprint across the Smartphone and Smart Device ecosystem in the Middle East & Africa (MEA) region.
“MediaTek is at the forefront of the global semiconductor industry, and we are proud to lead the way in key sectors like Smartphones, 5G Fixed Wireless Access, Wi-Fi, TV, and AI-IoT. In Nigeria, our collaboration with Airtel Nigeria, revolves around three core areas of focus. In connectivity, we are enhancing high-speed internet access with our advanced chipsets.”
“In the Smartphone domain, we are committed to offering a wider range of premium and flagship devices while supporting the transition from feature phones to smartphones. In the realm of AI-IoT, we are exploring new possibilities and technologies. Thus, this will promote digital inclusion, revolutionize connectivity in Nigeria, and contribute to sustainable development goals,” said Osman.
In addition, he said, “This collaboration aligns seamlessly with our MEA agenda, laying a robust foundation for the future of 5G technology. As we move forward, we are excited to lead in technological progress within this continually evolving region.”
Ismail Olusegun Adeshina, Director, Marketing at Airtel Nigeria, emphasized the importance of the partnership with MediaTek and how it will provide affordable connectivity to Nigerians. He stated, “Our commitment to innovation is evident through our early adoption of 5G technology. We’re proactively investing in this technology to improve connectivity, to tackle coverage and cost challenges, and make 5G devices more accessible across Nigeria”.
MediaTek powers globally recognized brands and remains dedicated to providing state-of-the-art innovations through its latest products and solutions. These offerings span a diverse range, including smartphones, smart devices, automotive technology, satellite connectivity solutions, and next-generation wearables.
MediaTek’s product portfolio includes MediaTek Dimensity for 5G smartphones, MediaTek HelioG series for 4G gaming smartphones, MediaTek Kompanio for arm-based Chromebooks, MediaTek Pentonic for Smart TV technologies, MediaTek Genio for Internet of Things applications, MediaTek Filogic for advanced Wi-Fi 6/6E & Wi-Fi 7 solutions, and MediaTek Dimensity Auto for cutting-edge automotive technologies, among others.
For more information, please visit: https://www.mediatek.com/
Features
Bigi Brand’s Annual “Watch & Win” Promo Returns with Grand Prizes

The award-winning Bigi Carbonated Soft Drink brand, a product of Rite Foods Limited, is delighted to unveil her highly-anticipated fourth edition of its “Bigi Watch and Win” promo. Designed exclusively for movie enthusiasts in Lagos and Abuja, this exciting promo offers participants the opportunity to watch their favourite movies and win fantastic prizes.
From September 18, 2023, to November 18, 2023, movie goers can enjoy any film of their choice at Silverbird Cinemas and receive a raffle ticket. These tickets can be redeemed for a chance to win incredible prizes, including laptops, Bigi products, printers, perfumes, and more. The grand prize for this edition is a brand-new car.
The first edition of “Bigi Watch and Win” took place in 2021, and later that same year in December, the Bigi brand held another edition. Since then, it has become an annual tradition, demonstrating Rite Foods Limited’s commitment to rewarding brand loyalty among its valued consumers.
Ms. Biola Aransiola, Assistant Brand Manager for Bigi, expressed her excitement about the fourth edition of the promo, saying, “We’ve partnered with Silverbird Cinemas to enhance people’s movie-going experience. Movie lovers can enjoy any of our 13 Bigi Carbonated Soft Drink flavours while watching their favourite films and stand a chance to win amazing prizes.”
Ms. Aransiola also mentioned that her favourite part is witnessing participants’ reactions when they discover the incredible prizes they have won, particularly the grand prize—a brand-new car. She encourages potential participants to check @getbigi on all social media platforms for the terms and conditions.
Through the “Watch & Win” promo, the Bigi brand accentuates Rite Foods Limited’s dedication to supporting the entertainment industry. The brand continues to sponsor movie premieres, as it has in the past with movies such as “The Prophetess,” “Progressive Tailors Club,” and “Aki and Pawpaw.” Additionally, it has been a consistent sponsor of the popular talent discovery platform, Nigerian Idol, for three consecutive seasons (6, 7, & 8), helping aspiring Nigerian singers achieve their dreams of stardom in the music industry.
The “Watch & Win” promo, combined with other effective marketing initiatives, has earned the Bigi brand numerous awards within its market segment. In 2023, Bigi Cola was honored with the “Best Value for Money” award at the BrandXchange Consumers Value Awards. In 2022, it received the “Fastest Growing Cola Brand of the Year” award at the Marketing Edge Brands and Advertising Excellence Awards in Lagos. The Bigi brand also claimed the “Most Outstanding CSD Brand of the Year” award at the 2021 Brandcom Awards, solidifying its position as a market leader in the beverage industry, outperforming its competitors.
-
Brand1 day agoNestlé Nigeria Concludes 15-Year Anniversary Celebration of its Technical Training Centre with 20 New Graduates from Abaji Factory
-
Banking and Finance5 hours agoFidelity Bank Extends Food Bank Initiative to Thousands in Surulere
-
Cover5 hours agoAPC Primaries: How Primate Ayodele Foretold Ned Nwoko, Gbenga Daniel’s Loss (VIDEO)
-
NEWS7 hours agoRibadu’s talks with JD Vance, Rubio decisive for Nigeria’s counterterrorism fight – Security Expert
-
Cover23 hours agoHow Primate Ayodele Foretold Fresh Outbreak Of Ebola Virus In Africa (VIDEO)
-
NEWS7 hours agoWema Bank Announces Last Call for Submission of Entries for One-Day MD/CEO Children’s Day Initiative
-
NEWS7 hours agoSecurity expert hails US partnership to prevent terror bases in Africa using actionable intelligence
-
Business7 hours agoAfrican Marketplace 2026 Returns To Dubai In October
